What goes into my bakes? What is the Shelf Life?
The all important questions. How long will my delicious brownie last you ask? Not as long as you like, as it is usually eaten well before it gets the chance to spoil. But here are our notes:
- Our ingredients are sourced from UK suppliers of UK Butter, Dove Farms GF Flour, Fairtrade Unrefined Sugar, Free Range Eggs and Nut & Peanut Free Chocolate that supports the Cocoa Farmers (see Callebaut site for lots of info on this).
- We add NO PRESERVATIVES. This means that yes, shelf life is limited…… but, have you ever looked at the expiration date on a store bought cake….. it can be 6 months….. what is in that???? You don’t want that in your tummy.
- The brownie is good at room temp for about a week -we would recommend you pop it into either an airtight container or zip lock bag and pop it in the fridge and just lift it out a bit before you want to eat it. It is better at room temp or slightly warmed in the microwave.
- Each pack will have a ‘best before’ date on it when it arrives. This is assuming you are keeping it at room temp. It is usually a week after baking. It will not harm you after this, but it may start to go a bit dry round the edges. If it is a bit dry, pop it in the microwave, serve warm with ice cream or just mix straight into ice cream.
- Best news – this stuff freezes, and it freezes well. Pop it in either a ziplock food bag or airtight container and pop it in the freezer. It will last about 3 months (when I say ‘last’, I mean won’t spoil….. it will not be in there long, you will not resist it.
- These guidelines cover all brownie, cake and biscuits. They are general guidelines and we know things change…… if your brownie is growing fluffy green or white stuff – don’t eat it. If it is within the timeline we suggested you could eat it – take a pic, get in touch and we will see what we can do.
Handy Hint - If your brownie or cake seems like it is getting a little dry, try popping it in the microwave for 20/30 seconds..... this restores it's freshness and ensures a gooey middle......
So, we are a home small batch bakery – we have a Food Hygiene Rating of 5. Our Head Baker has a Food Hygiene Qualification Level 3 – for Managers & Supervisors. We have undertaken and then delivered to others, training about allergies, intolerances and cross contamination. Our Head Baker worked in a commercial kitchen for many years catering for many, many customers with severe allergies, and auto immune conditions. We’ve got this….. but if it helps, we have also got the specs from all of our suppliers to confirm that the product contains no nuts, peanuts or gluten. We are also in conversation with SYNLAB about testing small batches on an ongoing basis to 'double check' if you like.
Any questions – please get in touch. We would rather you ask than worry.
May Contain Wheat
Some of our products contain ingredients derived from a wheat based glucose syrup. The processing of this product renders it gluten free, and it is certified as such. However it makes these products unsuitable for anyone with an allergy to wheat. We have therefore included a 'may contain' wheat on many of our products as we are in a shared space, using the same equipment as with our products that do not contain these ingredients. Whilst this may make the product unsuitable for a greater number of people, we would rather be safe than sorry x
Chocolate Ingredients List
Calletbaut Dark Choc Chips - cocoa mass 50.0%; sugar 48.5%; dextrose 1.0%; emulsifier: soya lecithin <1% Growing Great Chocolate ingredients: Cocoa
Calletbaut Dark 54% - cocoa mass 43.0%; sugar 43.0%; cocoa butter 13.0%; emulsifier: soya lecithin <1%; natural vanilla flavouring <1% Growing Great Chocolate ingredients: Cocoa
Calletbaut Milk - sugar 42.0%; cocoa butter 24.0%; whole milk powder 22.5%; cocoa mass 11.0%; emulsifier: soya lecithin <1%; natural vanilla flavouring <1%
Calletbaut Dark 70% - cocoa mass 71.0% ; sugar 26.0% ; fat-reduced cocoa powder 2.0% ; emulsifier: soya lecithin <1% ; natural vanilla flavouring <1% Growing Great Chocolate ingredients: Cocoa
Calletbaut White - sugar 46.5%; cocoa butter 29.5%; whole milk powder 23.5%; emulsifier: soya lecithin <1%; natural vanilla flavouring <1
Milk Shavings - sugar 52.5%; cocoa mass 15.0%; cocoa butter 15.0%; whole milk powder 13.5%; skimmed milk powder 3.5%; emulsifier: soya lecithin <1%; natural vanilla flavouring <1%
White Shavings - sugar 50.5%; whole milk powder 25.5%; cocoa butter 23.5%; emulsifier: soya lecithin <1%; natural vanilla flavouring <1%
Honeycomb - Sugar, Glucose Syrup, Sodium Bicarbonate, Rice Flour
Honeycomb - Sugar, Glucose Syrup, Non-Hydrogenated Vegetable Fat (Palm Kernel Oil, Palm Oil), Sodium Bicarbonate, Rice Flour
Fondant Icing - Icing Sugar, Glucose Syrup, Water, Vegetable Oils - Palm &Rapeseed, Sugar, Potato Starch, Colour - turmeric, Carmine, Paprika, Apple Concentrate, Humectant - glycerol, Stabilisers - Xantham Gum, Tragacanth, Preservative - Potassium Sorbate.
Sweetmince - Robertsons - Sugar, Apples, Sultanas, Raisins, Currants, Candied Mixed Peel, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Orange Peel, Sugar, Lemon Peel, Citric Acid, Vegetable Suet, Palm Oil, Sunflower Oil, Rice Flour, Treacle, Acidity regulators - Acetic Acid, Citric Acid, Mixed Spices, Ascorbic Acid.
Posting & Packing
- We will wrap your goods in corrugated paper – the sort of stuff used in chocolate boxes – or bubble wrap and then in a good layer of brown paper. This should mean your product gets to you unharmed. If however the unthinkable happens and it is damaged, take a pic and get in touch.
- Generally we post first class Royal Mail. If you wish to use a tracked or signed for service, there is an option for this at check out, along with the additional cost first class Royal Mail 1st Class is usually between £3.45-£5.50.... if you are buying lots, the cost may go up as it is based on the weight of the product being mailed. If something doesn’t turn up in the time we have specified, give it 24 hours…… if still not there, then let us know. Refunds will only be issued if goods are delayed by more than 4 days. We are however a lovely bunch, and if it has arrived later than we said, give us a shout we might be able to help you out.
- Currently we can only post to UK (including Highlands, Islands, Scilly Isles & Isle of Man). We cannot post further as the service takes too long to get there fresh. If you are desperate for a baking mix or hot chocolate, please email us and we will let you know how much it would be and arrange payment. Sadly our baked goods would not be as fresh as we would like them to be, so we can't send further afield right now.
- At busy periods – for example Christmas - we will usually only send out by tracked services to ensure delivery and tracking is available. We don’t want you missing out on your goods. If however it still doesn’t show up – let us know!
- All Business orders need to be agreed by email or phone email@example.com, 07919 075 397.
When will I get it?
Unless stated we bake on a Wednesday for personal orders. So please ensure all personal orders are placed by 5pm on the Sunday beforehand. Any after this time will not be baked until the following week. If you have missed this deadline and NEED some cake, get in touch asap. This means we send them out on a Wednesday, they should then reach you on Thursday or Friday ready for your weekend. You will get an email when it is on its way... don't worry, we keep in touch. If you need a more specific delivery date (for a birthday etc), please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will help you out.
As we mentioned before, we are a small, home bakery. From time to time things may crop up that will affect how we can process your orders. If anything is looking to be a problem we will get in touch asap and make alternative arrangements for you. We will always do our best to minimise any disruption to service.... but you know, sometimes stuff gets in the way!
- Our brownies and cakes are baked individually in their own little tin – 6cm x 6cm (average weight is about 65g) this varies however depending on type of brownie and topping used. This is a good dessert sized slice.
- Our bites our 3.5cm x 3.5cm that’s a hefty bite…… we do not believe in small portions. Again weight varies depending on flavours.
- Our cookies are quite large – about 8cm in diameter. That would fill up any hungry cookie monster.