Gluten Free Swiss Roll
How long is it since you had one of these?
Well - fear not, this can be made in a few simple steps.
1 x baking tray - with low sides, approx. 25cm x 35cm
1 x piece of baking parchment
1 x butter for greasing tray
100g margarine (dairy free if needed)
100g unrefined sugar
100g gluten free flour blend
2 eggs - room temperature... this is really important!
1 x teaspoon vanilla extract
raspberry conserve for filling and a dusting of icing sugar for finishing touches
1. Mix your butter and sugar with an electric whisk, until pale and fluffy.
2. Add eggs and flour, keep whisking until super light.
3. Grease and line your low baking tin, and spread the mixture thinly and evenly. It may help to use a butter or pallet knife.
4. Bake for 10 -15 minutes at 170C - do not let it colour, keep an eye on it until it just starts to get a tiny bit of colour.
5. As soon as its out of the oven, slide off the tray, keeping the parchment under it.
Now for the different bit - instead of wrapping round a tea towel, then unwrapping to fill work fast! You can do it that way if you want cream inside it, however it will have far more chance of cracking... thanks lack of gluten...
6. Spread with jam and start to roll, it must be done while hot so maybe wear gloves (our hands are almost fire proof thanks to years of baking!). Once rolled tightly, wrap in the parchment and leave to cool.
You will then have a lovey jam swiss roll!